Enjoy a broad introduction to ferns in the North East as you learn to identify them with Chris & Hazel Metherell.
Course tutors: Hazel & Chris Metherell
Course length: 5 weekly sessions, Thursday afternoons, 2.30pm-3.15pm
Course structure: This is an online course held via Zoom. Please ensure you have the right system requirements for accessing Zoom before booking, as we have a no-refunds policy.
Course cost: £30 / £25 concession
*Concessions (60 years and over/disabled/unemployed). Click on 'Enter promo code' and enter 'NHSN1', then click 'Apply' before proceeding to checkout.
Join Chris and Hazel Metherell for a brand new course as you learn to identify ferns, concentrating on the species found in the North-East. Each session will take the form of a live lecture, filmed at a desk with more than one camera, combining chalk and talk with showing herbarium specimens and photographs.
1. What is a fern? Naming of the parts, and outline of the life cycle. Counting how sub-divided the fronds are. Starting to identify some common ferns by looking at the sporing structures.
2. Spleenworts. Looking at the variety of species in this large family, from walls, hedges and hills.
3. How to recognise some common but harder to pin down, groups: The Male Ferns, Buckler Ferns, and Shield Ferns.
4. Others - covering other ferns of woodland, marsh, and hills from many families. The effect of the environment on the growth form.
5. Difficult Groups. Attempting to describe the Scaly Male Fern groups in more detail, and how to be more confident in identifying Polypodies.
N.B. You must be an NHSN member to attend this course. You will be asked to provide your NHSN membership number when registering. Not a member? Learn more about NHSN membership.
Please read the terms and conditions for NHSN education courses before booking.
N.B. Please check your junk folder if you don't receive emails from Eventbrite!